Sunday, May 5, 2019

Great crested flycatcher

Because rain was predicted, I planted seeds and set the plants out close to where they will live.  That's when I discovered that something had dug up the day lily I bought Tuesday. I replanted it, but it looked pretty sad.  A downy woodpecker had some suet. 

I went to a lecture about Filipiino-Americans in Norfolk and got drenched when I came out.  The rain followed us home. But just before it got heavy, I saw the flycatcher.

The rain was followed, briefly, by sunshine.  A cabbage white, wasp, and skink ventured out.  The wasp became very interested in the mountain mint even though it wasn't blooming.  A very wet squirrel tried to dry out.  An egret fished downstream.  Then fresh clouds rolled in and we had another downpour around 5:30pm.

When that cleared, a couple of Carolina wrens flew in.  Then the lurking feral cat kept birds away from the feeder for too long.  Gastropods crawled on the window to escape the wet.  There were slugs and what I thought was a slug wrapped around itself, till it dawned on me that it was a snail. Another oozed across the patio.  More clouds blew in and the sun set. 


No comments:

Post a Comment