Sunday, May 26, 2019

Still sunny

I got busy and watered at breakfast time and noticed a little blue morning glory flower.  At lunch, a bold jumping spider took over the window.  A Needham's skimmer dragonfly had damage to the tips of all four wings.  I cannot figure out what could cause that.  The day grew hot enough that some blue dasher dragonflies were obelisking. 

For several days I had thought I was catching glimpses of a great crested flycatcher and today I saw it clearly among the green wild cherries.  A skink galloped through the birdbath and was gone before I could get a picture.  Hummers visited all day long.  Baldy showed up with his lady cardinal.  I went out front to move a hanging basket that we'd been treating for an infestation and found it was being guarded by a female great blue skimmer dragonfly. 

I rescued some spiders, one a mother-to-be, and one small bug I thought was a spider but closer inspection made me think it was an assassin bug nymph, possibly a wheel bug.  It seemed to be drowned in either case.  I also fished out a drowned beetle with glittery wing covers and metallic abdomen.  I was surprised when it revived.  I think it was some kind of borer, hopefully not a major pest because it flew away.  My best guess is Dicerca divaricata - Flatheaded Hardwood Borer

After supper, I sat outside to read,  There was enough light until a quarter to nine.  By then, I'd seen two swallows high above me and a host of fireflies about two feet above the ground. There have been fireflies in the evening for about a week.  Tonight there were also firecrackers.


No comments:

Post a Comment