Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Sweltering

By mid morning, the temperature had passed 90F°.  As I ran errands, dragonflies were everywhere.  It surprised me somewhat as there has been little rain recently and few mosquitoes, midges, or gnats.  The hummer(s) kept drinking like it was the last day before Prohibition. 

When I returned, I found still more dragonflies flowing across the yard together..  A black swallowtail tried to wrestle nectar out of a blue indigo flower.  A flock of chickadees were all over the yard acting as if they had no sense.  Fledglings, I suspect.

Almost everything in the pool had drowned.  There was a camel cricket, two carpenter bees, and assorted spiders and small wasps.  A ground beetle had a reddish ant clamped on one leg.  I think the ant was dead, but the beetle was lively.  The rue still hosted a variety of wasps

Two geese with three goslings paddled upstream.  Later a couple of mallard drakes kept to shaded water.  A couple of cormorants occupied the snag on the lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment