Sunday, July 14, 2019

Creepy critter

It was a very hot day, so I waited till the sun wasn't hitting the patio any more before going outside.  There were dragonflies and butterflies, bees and wasps, as usual.  And I could hear cicadas.  But suddenly, a strange creature ran past me across the concrete and dived into the pool.  I scrambled to catch up before it was sucked into the skimmer.  It was a mole cricket, only the second one I've ever seen, and the other was at Back Bay decades ago.  I  rescued it and made it wait till I had some pictures.  Then it took off like an Olympic runner.

Blue dashers, a male widow skimmer, Carolina saddlebags, 12-spotted skimmers, and other skimmers with unmarked wings were all hunting.  A buckeye fed on mint and a black swallowtail rested on a dogwood leaf. I found a drowned skinklet, also a drowned lacewing and a drowned metallic green bee.  I left a Japanese beetle and a brown stinkbug to their fate but rescued an earwig and some other beetles.  The Argiope had a fresh zigzag in its web.  I startled a little katydid near the web, but it stayed away. 

An egret chased another off the dock.  Hummers weren't happy with the feeder.  Blue jays were around.  I saw something flying very high that had a raptor look. 

The moon was nearly full.


No comments:

Post a Comment