Thursday, July 25, 2019

Humid

It was warmer, but I didn't think it was hot till I picked figs.  The humidity plastered me.   A fiery skipper perched on an indigo pod.  That caused me to notice the hairy yellow caterpillars all over the plants.  Curiously, the figs had not attracted many insects, despite the ones that were ruined by the rain - splitting open and smelling like a brewery.

A black swallowtail made the rounds of host plants and took a nip of mountain mint.  A buckeye stayed with the domestic mint.  Threadwaisted wasps were mating again.  I saw an ailanthus webworm on the mountain mint, but it wasn't responsible for the caterpillars on the indigo.  The monarch caterpillars' frass lined up on the leaves like fake caterpillars.  Blue dashers monitored the ground level and a twelve spotted skimmer the upper air. 

On my way to the pool steps I spied a big brown skink.  It came very close, but I had left the camera in the shade.  In the skimmer basket I found a baby skinklet that was still quite lively.   I made it pay for rescue with photos.

In the evening, there was again a mysterious disturbance in the creek surface, but a boat came home and set up waves.


No comments:

Post a Comment