Sunday, July 21, 2019

Excessive Heat Warning

Yesterday I got up in the dark and left about 5am to to D, C. by way of Yorktown.  I got back home around 1030pm so I saw nothing at all except on the road where a buzzard circled over the crawling cars leaving the Capital.  I think I glimpsed a dead deer a few miles further on.  The sky was hazy but the sun burned anyway. 

Today I was too tired to do much and it was still too hot to tempt me outside until very late.  This is the map of the area covered by the Excessive Heat Warning.  The Heat Index (temperature X humidity) was "Between 110 and 115 degrees late this afternoon and early this evening."  I saw hummers and blue jays at breakfast  A cloudless sulphur flitted across the patio at lunch.  In the evening, I heard swallows but didn't see them.

The Argiope was still in the same spot.  I saw a great golden digger wasp on the mountain mint.  A monarch caterpillar climbed a stalk of mountain mint next to the volunteer butterfly milkweed.  That prompted me to check the swamp milkweed where I found three more caterpillars.  I relocated one to the butterfly weed.  Despite the gusty wind, a saddlebags dragonfly perched on a dead twig atop the oak. 

In the evening, a yellow crowned night heron stalked along the bulkhead on the far side of the creek. 


No comments:

Post a Comment