Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Heat wave continued

Yesterday's frog-strangler of a downpour did not dilute the hummer juice.  A tattered buckeye joined the wasps on the mountain mint.  I rescued two metallic green tiger beetles. 
I didn't see as many dragonflies, or butterflies either.  Just a female great blue skimmer, a slaty skimmer, blue dashers, and a tiger swallowtail in addition to the buckeye.  The Argiope web shrank and I haven't seen any prey for several days. 

A bird I think was a brown thrasher poked around under the maple.  A red bellied woodpecker seemed very interested in a particular knothole on the oak.  I wonder if it could be a nest.  Blue jays were interested in cherries and berries.  The high-flying raptorish bird was back and I think it's a Mississippi kite.  They nested for several years in Thoroughgood so it is not unreasonable. 

Another thunderstorm popped up but this one didn't last long.  Thunder continued to growl for the rest of the afternoon.  There were some strong wind gusts as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment