Friday, July 5, 2019

Thunderstorm

Today the hummers were fine with their feeder.  In fact, one chased another away.  I don't know what their problem was yesterday.   I think the blue jays were bringing the kids to  eat cherries. 

A duskywing skipper settled on a violet leaf.  There were other butterflies or moths that went by too fast, except for one moth that clung to the window.

Thunder began around 3pm and the rain lasted several hours but only added a modest amount of water to the pool.  An osprey circled but I missed the timing to get a photo.  Cardinals and chickadees got drenched but were hungry for seeds anyway.  I had hoped to photograph lightning, but I just got wet.

Around 6pm, the sky cleared and the temperature came back up so I went swimming.  As I dripped afterward, I discovered a four spotted pennant in the top of the oak.  It had to dodge boisterous blue jays that came back for more cherries.  I heard swallows but didn't see them.

An adult two-lined spittlebug (aka froghopper) landed on the table beside me.  When I came in and settled at the computer, a firefly just outside the window kept blinking.


No comments:

Post a Comment