Thursday, August 29, 2019

Blue sky

Before breakfast, I went to refill the dish feeder and, well, there was a worm spill.  My loss was the wrens' gain.  A couple of fledgling Carolina wrens were demanding to be fed and the parents took full advantage of my clumsiness. 

The hummers drank their feeder dry again.  One tried and tried to find a way to the juice she was sure was there. 

A tiger swallowtail got nectar from the butterfly milkweed.  I also saw black and palamedes swallowtails and a cloudless sulphur.   At one point a wasp chased the tiger swallowtail away but it came back and chased away the wasp.  A great golden digger wasp was around the milkweed all day but I could not tell if it was the wasp involved. 


There were two frogs hanging out by the pool ladder, but they left when I got in.  I rescued two skinks, a couple of lacewings, some bees and wasps.  A metallic green beetle did not revive. 

While I was in the deep end, I saw a threadwaisted wasp run along the ground carrying a green caterpillar.  It got to the corner by the beautyberry where the dirt is exposed, set the caterpillar down, hunted around, moved some pine needles, seemed to get lined up with a particular stone, found its hole, dug a little more, and carried the caterpillar down out of sight.  I waited a little, but didn't see it emerge. 

The Carolina mantis was still hanging around the rose, upsidedown.  A soldier beetle sat in the center of a daisy.  I saw a tiny caterpillar on the butterfly milkweed and another on the swamp milkweed. 

A heron landed on the dock but vegetation kept me from being sure if it was a night heron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment