Friday, August 2, 2019

Heavy sky, humid air

Thanks to the neem oil, the hibiscus was blooming again.  A volunteer portulaca put out a flower.  A few raindrops fell but the air remained oppressive.  It was neither hot nor cool, except when an occasional breeze reminded me that I was wet. Titmice were busy with seeds at breakfast.  Then they all left.  The usual trio came for seeds throughout the day.  Hummers argued over their feeder. I took two photos of a standoff between hummers, and the wretched camera focused on the trees in the background. 

Two great golden digger wasps and two blue mud wasps intimidated most of the other bees and wasps on the mountain mint.  A yellow kneed wasp ignored all that and hunted in the grass.  A slaty skimmer perched on the bark butter hanger and a female pondhawk rested on the ground.  I was surprised I didn't see any flying dragonflies since the still, humid air was perfect for annoying little bloodsuckers.  One harassed me in the pool.  I rescued a wasp, two metallic green tiger beetles, and a half dozen crickets.  A mama spider found refuge on the pool ladder but I fished out a male.


No comments:

Post a Comment