Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Gray sky

As I ate breakfast outside, I noticed a slug on a leaf that had come to the point and was figuring out how to turn back.   A hummer joined me for breakfast.  

The air seemed very damp and toward evening there were showers.  A frog was in the skimmer.  It leapt into the pool but eventually I caught it and told it to leave.  I don't mind swimming with frogs but the water seems to poison them. I rescued a green June beetle and a metallic green tiger beetle. 

And after I got out, I found a monarch caterpillar climbing a bamboo stake and persuaded it to relocate to the butterfly weed.  A green pondhawk perched on the feeder handle by my window.  

While I was on the phone in the afternoon,all sorts of things flew by.  I saw a cicada killer, butterflies, and dragonflies.  A flock of robins landed in the cherry tree.  A Carolina wren thoroughly inspected the redwood trunk.  Chicadees and cardinals hunted in the saltbush while house finches poked through the cherry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment