Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Skinks and frogs

A house wren visited at breakfast.  A great blue skimmer awaited the little biters.  The palamedes swallowtail stayed out of focus but a black swallowtail posed.  Palamedes has a striped body, black has speckles.   A katydid nymph was head down on a rose cane.  A basilica spider built a lovely domed web. 

There was just one frog but two skinks.  I let the frog and a skinklet run off, but I made the adult skink pose - it was old enough to know better than to go swimming.  I also rescued a green June bug.  A spider with a pearly egg sac rescued herself.  I found a cicada shell in the water that may have tempted the spider.

A night heron preened while resting on a piling.  It had its wings dropped and spread the way they do when too hot. I found the outer skin of a monarch chrysalis, which I hope means a butterfly hatched out.  I still could not figure out where the monarchs go to pupate. The tailless brown thrasher prospected for insects. A gray gill mushroom popped up in the grass. My offhand ID was some kind or Russula.  I'm probably not qualified for the Mycoblitz


No comments:

Post a Comment