Saturday, August 3, 2019

Buggy

Overcast periods were interspersed with intervals of sunshine. Several times the clouds separated into orderly rows and In the afternoon a sundog rainbow appeared overhead. After dark, I caught the crescent moon.   Jupiter was visible in the South. 

A Carolina wren pecked at the bark butter remains before I discovered the mess had gone moldy.  I replaced the food but didn't see any visitors.  A brown thrasher lurked around the edge of the yard, hiding that it had lost its tail.   A yellow crowned night heron landed on the dock and an egret took off. 

A black swallowtail visited the rue and I found a tattered gray hairstreak on the mountain mint.  A fiery skipper was attracted to the blue pool net.  All the same bees and wasps were there too.  I found a cicada shell quite high up in a dogwood, attached to a leaf.  A slaty skimmer used a perch while a Carolina saddlebags stayed in the air.  I rescued crickets and tiger beetles but the cicada I found was too far gone. 

Two blue tailed skinks roamed the mulch. The beautyberry was nearly finished blooming and had lots of green berries.  Something left silk and frass under the mountain mint flower heads.  


No comments:

Post a Comment