Sunday, August 4, 2019

Lightning

The Carolina wren was back for breakfast.  The hibiscus put on a show of five blossoms.  K hung a fresh feeder for the hummingbirds.  When we got home, they were enjoying it.  A buckeye joined the wasps on the mint, but not the mountain mint.  I also saw a tiger and a palamedes swallowtail.  A silver spotted skipper had flitted past at breakfast.  

 I rescued a mama spider and several crickets from the skimmer, which was full of dried oak leaves.  It looked like a squirrel's drey had come apart and pieces had fallen or been blown into the water.  A thumbnail size mud crab on the pool steps turned out to be deceased.  I imagine it escaped from a raccoon but then couldn't escape the water. A blue dasher and a great blue skimmer kept the mosquitoes away. 

A couple of blue jays tried to pull a bait and switch on me but just then K came out to tell me about picking figs ahead of the storm.  The bird I think is a Mississippi kite circled under the cloud cover.  A hummer packed on some calories.  Swallows flew high and chittered. 

Thunder growled for quite some time with no lightning that I could see.  Finally there was a flash and I counted to twelve before the thunder.  A couple of minutes later, I heard a hissing, sizzling sound as well as a tremendous bang simultaneously with the lightning flash.  I hustled inside and the rain just missed me.It came down hard with more thunder and lightning for at least an hour.  So I counted the day as done.


No comments:

Post a Comment