Sunday, July 16, 2017

Cloudy

It looked like rain all day, but none fell.  As we were leaving for church, I spied a cicada killer buzzing around the lantana.  Fiery skippers were also feeding on the lantana.

Wasps, the buckeye, and dragonflies were out in the noonday heat.  A dragonfly with only three wings seemed to fly without trouble.  A tiny skink, not much longer than an inch, zipped around on the hot concrete, then hid under the morning glory.  A tiger swallowtail flitted across the yard.  A couple of night herons appeared to be disputing space on the dock but both flew off as soon as I glimpsed them. 

Something landed in the redwood but was obscured by the foliage.  I thought it was a little green heron, but now I'm not sure.  In the pool, I found lots of beetles and small wasps, and robber fly.  A wolf spider protected her egg "pearl."  The black widow may have moved on since the water level rose.  Titmice came for seeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment