Sunday, July 2, 2017

Hot

Young titmice tried to drink from the ant moat. Hummers drank their feeder dry.  An egret fished below the dam and later another rested on the dock.  A blue jay snatched some mealworms but the female bluebird was more discriminating.  A profusion of dragonflies kept the patio mosquito-free.  I saw something struggling in the pool and thought it was a skink.  But when I went to rescue it, all I found was a beetle larva.  In the course of the morning, I also saw but did not get a photo of a male goldfinch, palamedes swallowtails, and other butterflies.

I did glimpse a skink later but a squirrel came along and the lizard disappeared.  Another skink was on the concrete at the far end of the pool,but it saw me too.  A male common whitetail landed on the patio briefly.  I hauled beetles, wasps and spiders out of the water.  A couple of spiders, one big and one small, faced off on the pool ladder, but I think both survived.  One spider was carrying her spiderlings and refused all help.  I didn't see her anywhere after I got out of the water, a slightly creepy thought.  Blue dashers, assorted skimmers, and a Halloween pennant perched around the yard.  A skimmer with spotted wings patrolled about ten feet off the ground.  An amberwing lurked in the parsley. 

Osprey and eagles flew circles high overhead while swallows just zipped past.  A young Carolina wren came to the patio but apparently didn't see anything to eat.  A night heron hunted along the dam.  The moon was, again, blurred by thin clouds.  Fireflies blinked while cicadas buzzed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment