Saturday, July 29, 2017

Cold front

It wasn't too bad in the morning - overcast, humid, and still.  Rain overnight was apparently light but had not evaporated.  An egret paced under the bulkhead as I ate breakfast.  There was not a lot of floating debris in the pool, but quite a few beetles.  I rescued two green and one gray tiger beetles, ground beetles, and brown June beetles. Also spiders, but no mamas.  Because the sky looked untrustworthy, I left the camera indoors.  Otherwise I'd have gotten some nice shots of a little green heron on a piling. 

A mockingbird was up in the cherry and blue jays streaked across the yard calling each other.  A cardinal checked out the beautyberries, but they were still quite green.  At the feeders, it was the usual trio, plus a family of young titmice.  I saw hummers feed but I think they weren't happy.  Speaking of which, the Mexican sage and the canna did not bloom very much thus far, and the scarlet runner bean I planted had not so much as a bud to offer as feeder substitutes.  Only the coral honeysuckle came through. 

In the early afternoon while I was still in the pool, a misty rain commenced.  Around 1pm it strengthened enough that I gave up and came indoors.  The afternoon gradually grew wilder with harder rain and wind picking up.  The temperature dropped and so did the light.  Wind pushed the first quarter tide much higher.  Rain overflowed the ant moat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment