Sunday, July 9, 2017

Entomology day

It was definitely a better day for bugs than birds.  There were at least four titmice squabbling over the feeder.  Before church we saw the ruby throat of the male hummingbird.  At lunch, a male bluebird ate cherries.  I saw a blue jay, a swallow, and an osprey in flight. The hibiscus was ablaze with flowers and a late gladiolus spear began blooming. 

A glorious male Needhams's skimmer perched on one of my bamboo poles.  Later, a female great blue skimmer hung out on the same stake.  A blue dasher lurked on a camellia leaf and a twelve-spotted skimmer hunted above the pool.  A great golden digger wasp and an buckeye butterfly gorged on rue nectar.  Other wasps harassed the butterfly.  A black swallowtail was more interested in laying eggs than in feeding. A tiny southern purple mint moth hung around the rosemary. 

Sidewalk tiger beetles scuttled around the patio, but a bigger, metallic-green tiger beetle got into trouble in the pool.  I sloshed it onto the ladder step, then discovered the step was already occupied by a mama spider covered with spiderlings.  The two predators faced off.  Something I think may have been a scarab beetle lurked in the shadows.  Elsewhere a June beetle had climbed a pine needle to rescue itself from the water. 

And if that was not enough, I found a small, brown pupa bobbing in the water.  I assumed it was dead, but when I laid it on the hot concrete, it thrashed around, so I found it a relatively pleasant place to wait out its metamorphosis, and I can find out what it is.

An egret perched on the dock bench.  I heard a squawk and saw a night heron fly off.  Then a smaller bird I think was a green heron flew downstream.  While the sky was clear all day except for wispy cumulus, it grew hazy in the evening.  There were a few clouds to catch color from the sunset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment