Wednesday, July 5, 2017

East wind

Morning was very hot and very humid and the sun felt scorching.  Birds were feasting on the wild cherries.  I saw the cardinals courting in the tree.  I went outside before lunch and picked blueberries.  A male widow skimmer flashed in the sun.  There were blue dashers, naturally.  And a lovely female skimmer (slaty or great blue) perched in the neighbors' birch.  A sidewalk tiger beetle raced about.  A brown thrasher lurked. 

And then a white breasted nuthatch appeared on the dogwood trunk.  An osprey landed in the big pine next door.  A hummer visited her feeder.  A titmouse preened in the dogwood.  The bluebirds were after cherries, or possibly bugs, in the wild cherry tree.  It did not keep the female from the mealworms.  A skink climbed the wall.  An itchy squirrel yearned for the hummer juice. 

But beginning at lunch time, the wind blew the temperature down.  It shoved cumulus across the sky under a higher, wispier, stationary layer of clouds.  The sun was frequently blocked and that plus the moving air made the afternoon more pleasant.  At lunch, a blue-black mud wasp zoomed around the patio and I could never quite catch it with the camera.  A black swallowtail briefly visited the herbs. I did catch a green metallic tiger beetle rafting in the pool. 

An egret fished along the bulkhead, then preened on our dock.  Three osprey circled overhead, calling with their unexpectedly sweet voices. Also a twelve spotted skimmer, I think,  patrolled the air over the pool.   As I was photographing a gray hairstreak with tattered wings, a bluetail skink shot out from under my seat. 


When I left for a meeting around 6pm, sprinkles of rain appeared and a light rain was falling as I drove home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment