Monday, July 24, 2017

Moth week

According to Mary Reid Barrow, this is Moth Week, but the only moth I've seen is the tiny southern purple mint moth.  I would have guessed it was dragonfly week, or maybe wasp week.  Morning was overcast and relatively cool, but the sun came out at lunch time.  Titmice and hummers visited. A squirrel hauled a fresh pinecone nearly as big as she was.  K spotted a cicada killer.

The black swallowtail and the pearl crescent were back.  I spotted a yellow dragonfly hanging below a dead dogwood twig.  Pennants, blue dashers, slaty and great blue skimmers perched for their pictures.  Saddlebags, however caused me to waste many pixels.  I got some red and yellow blurs.  A yellow kneed wasp prowled over the damaged hibiscus leaves. 

I rescued a dead frog. Also beetles both living and dead. A skink darted around the cement outside the pool and I thought I was going to have to rescue it.

Late in the day, an egret stalked past a row of Halloween pennants perched in the spartina and saltbush.


No comments:

Post a Comment