Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Humid

There were lots of dragonflies, but not many birds. A titmouse showed up for breakfast.  Later, a crow went after the mealworms but had a hard time of it, being too big for the job.  Another crow watched.  Wasps including the golden digger were busy with the mint.  A Halloween pennant perched on the dried up gladiolus stalk. 

After lunch, I saw a dragonfly atop the pine bud couldn't identify it.  Heavy clouds seemed to promise more rain, but they lied.  The pool rescues were mostly beetles, though I did save a tiny green bee.  I also rescued a metallic green tiger beetle that seemed to need recovery time. A sidewalk tiger needed no rescue as it preyed on debris from the pool skimmer. I noticed a small brown click beetle nearby.  In a corner, I found a small reddish beetle that looked like a June bug cousin. 



Many of the dragonflies were just blurs, especially those with yellow bodies.  I identified slaty, blue dasher, twelve-spotted, and a pair of pondhawks.  Snout butterflies did their dance in the air and then one rested on an oak leaf. A fiery skipper dined on the single zinnia flower.  When I cane to the steps, a large black fly zoomed at me, but it was only the bee-mimic.  K harvested the first figs of the season.  The clouds cleared off at sunset and the sky turned lovely colors.  The usual congregation of crows at the highway interchange was underway as I drove home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment