Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Cooler

I was running around all morning.   Dragonflies, and wasps were thick and a black swallowtail, a pearl crescent, and a fiery skipper represented the lepidoptera.  A cicada killer wasp defeated the camera. 

The air and water were both in the low 80s with a hazy sky and a breeze that made me genuinely chilly once wet.  Suddenly I thought there was a fish in the pool as something silvery thrashed on the surface.  It was a cicada so I rescued it.  When I set it down it marched over to the water and fell in again.  Twice.  I finally got it headed away. 

Then a commotion at the feeder caught my attention.  A hummer was put out that a titmouse was drinking from the ant moat.  The hummer tried to intimidate the titmouse but failed.  It then flew around to every red thing from new leaves to withered flowers before it gave up and flew away. 

I soon left as well, for another meeting.  When I got out, a sliver of new moon hung above the sunset glow.  But it was soon dark enough that I got lost twice on the way home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment