Monday, July 31, 2017

Wonderful weather

There were hummers at breakfast, and an egret down at the dam outfall.  Afterward, I sat on the front patio to read.  Two female hummingbirds (or one twice) and a male came to the feeder, but balked when they saw me.  An adult skink emerged from behind the vine planter and tiptoed past me.  I could see insects zipping around but couldn't tell if they were dragonflies or wasps.  During lunch, a couple of snout butterflies did an aerial dance or fight.

Heading to the pool, I surprised a skink on the steps.  Dragonflies were perched around.  A brown thrasher hunted on the ground by the fence.  I rescued a tiny spider with a white chevron on its abdomen.  I also saved a lot of beetles and gave one green tiger a ride in an oak gall. 

A few dogwood leaves were beginning to turn.  A female cardinal abandoned herself to anting with an expression of stupefied bliss.  Then the male showed up and recalled her to duty. 

A hummer gave a chickadee a piece of her mind for getting too close to her feeder.  A hummer chased another over the roof.  In the evening a hummer kept guzzling despite a cardinal pair on the seed feeder.  

I went out after dark to listen to the insects and look at the moon and planets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment