Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hot again

Well, no one thought the coolness would last.  Hummers and titmice came for breakfast. A snowy egret poked around the dam outfall.  A male cardinal had begun molting.  Then a Carolina wren showed up and tossed seeds out of the feeder. 

I went down to the dock and startled a little green heron who saw me first.  There were splashes and ripples on the creek surface, also bubbles rising.  I looked for spicebush swallowtail caterpillars in the sassafras and saw evidence - rolled leaves and eaten leaves - and maybe one small caterpillar that disappeared when I looked closer.  Periwinkle snails clung to a dead saltbush stump.  I saw some amazing spiderwebs and one spider that hid quickly. 

Upstream and across the creek, was a statue of a defecating wolf in the lawn.  I suppose it could be a goose deterrent.  It's certainly in need of some justification to balance the tastelessness.

When we got home after lunch, a female hummingbird watched the feeder from the cherry tree.  I saw a swallowtail butterfly briefly  In the pool, I rescued a click beetle, too many June bugs, a few spiders, and a huge leaf-footed bug.  A male cardinal hunted for food in the grass by the fence. A couple of doves dropped by and tree swallows flew overhead.  I saw at least three blue jays and four robins rushing to a commotion of crows. 

By sunset there was a thin layer of clout over the sky.  The moon was visible but fuzzy.  Sunset was red and streaky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment