Sunday, August 27, 2017

Windy

Morning was sunny with a cool wind.  Several birds looked disheveled from molting.  I got a glimpse of a ragged wren.  Hummers kept up their battles. 


The afternoon got very windy and grounded many insects but some butterflies held their own.  The black swallowtail was still busy passing on her genes.  A red-spotted purple soon disappeared, but a painted lady made forays off the oak leaves.

From one spot I could see the lake and snowy egrets perched on a fallen tree.  I was on my way to a closer look at the argiope spiders in the marsh.  They were getting blown around. The one in the middle already had an egg sack hanging on a groundsel bush. 

Several saltmarsh fleabane plants were in bloom.  I was worried when they didn't come back last year.  The wind had pushed the water up around them. Virginia buttonweed's little four-petaled star flowers dotted the grass near the water.

Around 4pm a dark bar of cloud began coming at us from the Northeast.  It brought rain about a half hour later.  I tried to stick it out and keep on cleaning the pool but the rain seemed to be getting harder and the wind was like a gale.  But by the time I got my suit off, it had stopped.  Oh well. Large clouds continued to flow overhead on that cold wind until it was too dark to see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment