Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hot & heavy clouds

Morning was fairly sunny but clouds lined the horizon. The hummers drank and chased each other.  Titmice snatched seeds and squabbled.  Dragonflies were perched when I got home at mid day.

A yellow crowned night heron down by the dam outfall held its wings in the overheated pose.  Thermometers claimed 90 or more.  A black swallowtail and a nearly black duskywing flitted around. 

In the afternoon, dark clouds closed in, the light level dropped, and the day grew breathless.  That's when I finally got in the pool.  While fishing out leaves and beetles and such, I found another frog floating, dead alas.  I don't know if the pool chemicals did it or if they had something else wrong, but they didn't drown.  However, the thunderstorm broke while I was still in the water and I had to scramble to get the camera under cover.  The rain wasn't too hard at first, but a deluge followed and flooded all the ditches.  I wondered what condition Norfolk would be in, but it was dry there.The clouds brought night on early.  Rainfall for the month and year is above "normal," again.


No comments:

Post a Comment