Sunday, August 13, 2017

Moist

It was misting int the morning and everything was still wet.  A hummer noticed right away that the feeder was back,  A snowy egret poked around the dam outfall as they do after every hard rain.

While we ate lunch, a raggedy bluebird came for mealworms.  Unfortunately they were afloat in rainwater.  After the bird flew off in disgust I emptied the dish and put some new mealworms in it.

In the pool, I evicted two frogs.  A great egret rested on the dock.  I saw a green pondhawk but by the time I grabbed the camera (which was inside in case of rain) it had disappeared.  A blue mud wasp looked very elgant as it poked through the mulch.  A tiny ant carried a big white sail-like object past the wasp.  Other wasps were busy pollinating.

I went to a vigil for the Charlottesville victims.  It was in the park south of town center, where I had not previously set foot.   The city did a good job with interpretive signs and interesting plantings.  I saw a red russela toadstool among cypress knees at the edge of the retention pond.  It was very humid. 

When I came home from the vigil, I saw a male widow skimmer in the front yard but it flew over the house and never reappeared.  The hummer was still feeding.  The snowy was back at the dam, joined by a yellow crowned night heron.  The sky began to clear even as sunset colored the clouds.


No comments:

Post a Comment