Thursday, August 17, 2017

From blue to gray and back

A dove showed up at breakfast.  So did the first morning glory flower.  The most bedraggled, molting hummingbird bossed the feeder.  She was annoyed by silly titmice. 

I went swimming before lunch under a hot sun with the sky so blue it seemed ultraviolet.  I fished a green caterpillar out of the water.  A common whitetail posed on the patio.  A small skink clung to the brick wall.  A blue dasher perched on the bamboo stake.

After lunch a black swallowtail egged the rue.  A large Scolia dubia wasp fed on the mint flowers.  The blue dasher moved up into the trees.  Meanwhile threatening clouds moved in.  I was focusing on a hibiscus bud when I realized that one sepal was a katydid nymph. A slaty skimmer perched on a dead twig in the spartina.  A hummer landed in the hibiscus but departed before I'd adjusted focus.  It ran straight into the molting mama and they had it out by the camellia.  I think the ragtag one won.

Then a bird call drew my attention up, and there was a Cooper's hawk sitting in the oak.  It too looked a bit worse for wear. The sky cleared quickly after 6pm.  A long tailed bird caught a bug up in a pine.  I finally found the argiope but by then the light was going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment