Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Humid heat

The windows were fogged again, but I didn't want to disturb the spiderweb.  It was pretty much wrecked and had only caught small stuff, unless something tore loose.  I thought I saw a wren through the condensation.  As it began to vaporize, I did see the goldfinch.

The hummer feeder was dry, preferable to moldy, so K swapped it out, after I had boiled up a new batch of sugar water.  I sped up the cooling by setting the container in a water bath in the sink.  I wonder if that will affect its storage.  At any rate, the hummers were satisfied enough to fight over it.  A cicada killer banged on the window. 

A variegated fritillary took an interest in the violet leaves, also the morning glory leaves, and the cement.  I saw a few dragonflies, just blue dashers and slaty skimmers.  A little blue tailed skink slipped past me.  So did monarchs.  That motivated me to take my gift card to the nursery where I bought a butterfly weed plant.  I also picked up a fancy hens&chickens because I misunderstood K, and a creeping thyme for the gnarled branch I'm turning into a planter.  It was very hot at the garden center though clouds and a breeze helped.  I saw more monarchs there

A duskywing was fluttering around the rosemary when I headed to the pool.  It looked like one argiope had caught a fish but it was probably just a silk-wrapped bug.  A yellow crowned night heron was hunting on the mud at low tide.

Well after dark something hit the window and I got a glimpse of wings.  I think it may have been an owl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment