Friday, August 18, 2017

Empty thunder

It was very hot and humid, but windy. Around mid morning I saw something moving in the expansion joint in the pool patio.  A skink emerged and peered into the water, then disappeared.  But I saw no ripples.

A tiger swallowtail laid eggs all over the cherry tree.  A male widow skimmer made forays from the bamboo perch.  Tiny, foolish skinks were everywhere - eggs must have hatched. 

In the afternoon, huge cumulus clouds raced out of the Southwest, thundering as they passed, but I saw no lightning, and about five drops of rain.   I spent a lot of pixels on the sunbeams and shadows the clouds made.  An osprey in the opposite direction under the clouds. 

The chaste tree had begun to bloom.  I inspected the figs and found a couple that looked edible.  There were still a lot of small green figs, but I've no idea if the wasps that fertilize figs linger into August.  However,it was good that I looked because I found a spiny orbweaver inside the curtain of leaves.

A damselfly watched from the edge of the pool as I rescued a honeybee.  A very dead frog was in the pool skimmer and a small dead skink on the bottom of the pool.  It wasn't the one I saw peering into the pool in the morning.  A tattered slaty skimmer replaced the widow skimmer. 

As I was dripping off, I saw a second argiope in the spartina.  It was wrapping up dinner at the center of an immense web.  A dragonfly patrolled the water's edge, but I couldn't be sure what kind it was.  It had spotted wings and might by a twelve spotted skimmer.  A yellow crowned night heron lurked by the dock.

The last cloud sailed over about 5pm but the wind didn't cease.  Hummers had a hard time between the wind and the feeder without perches. Not to mention all the chickadees that flew too close.  One gave up and tried to find a flower, but the roses were too chewed up.  A Carolina wren poked around in the rosemary but ignored the mealworms. It was still hot after dark.  I saw a few firefly flashes but nothing like June.  After midnight, we finally got a thunderstorm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment