Saturday, August 26, 2017

Cool

It was a beautiful day, if a bit cool for swimming. Hummers were up early.  An egret fished under the bulkhead.  Titmice and chickadees squabbled over seeds and a blue jay raided the mealworms.  I took advantage of the lower temperature to plant the succulent I bought.  The beans I planted had a few orange (not scarlet) flowers.  A fiery skipper hung out on the lantana.  Skinks were underfoot.  I saw more dragonflies and butterflies today.  A red-spotted purple made touch-and-go landings on the water.  All three argiope spiders seemed to be doing well. 

We got back around 4pm.  A wren buzzed in the shrubbery but disappeared before I returned with the camera.  I found a fresh batch of caterpillars on the indigo and a cicada shell on some stonecrop, not a very high place to metamorphose.  While I watched the front hummer feeder, two hummers inspected me. 

A male widow skimmer was perched on the mealworm feeder in back.  A black swallowtail laid eggs on the rue, then posed next to the dragonfly.  A hummer kept watch on the feeder.  A painted lady perched on oak leaves.  Fluffy, somewhat shredded cumulus flowed out of the NNE under higher, thinner cumulus slowly moving up from the WSW.  A duskywing looked quite pale in the sunlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment