Saturday, July 1, 2017

Rain never came



A goldfinch, a skink, and a hummer were too fast for me, but I did capture a skipper.  Big, dark clouds blew across the sky in the morning.  When I got home, titmice were all over the feeder.  A juvenile cardinal foraged below.  Japanese beetles were everywhere. 

There were marvelous cloud shapes in the evening and I looked forward to seeing them change color with sunset, but not so.  They blew East, spread out, and became a thin, white glaze on the sky.  The waxing gibbous moon was bright, before the clouds blurred it.  (Last night it was not quite at the first quarter and this night it was slightly past 50% illuminated.)  I saw a few swallows hunting overhead and glimpsed first a night heron and then an egret behind the vegetation upstream of the dock.

Both a female and a male hummer visited shortly before sunset.  I cannot be certain it was the female hummer, but right after, something round zipped around the top of the oak, changing direction like a dragonfly, but not shaped like one.  Cicadas were buzzing but I don't think they fly like that.  Dragonflies were out, but they were a different shape.  And the camera still could not capture a firefly blinking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment