Saturday, July 22, 2017

Hot wind

During breakfast, I saw a young mockingbird in the cherry tree.  Hummingbirds visited all day long.  By lunch time the feeder was dry so we put out fresh juice in a fresh feeder, and they kept coming. 

The sky was cloudless in the morning and the sun scorched all it touched.  I decided to swim while the pool still had shade.  A black swallowtail laid eggs on the rue.  A yellow crowned night heron stood on the dock in the drop-wind posture they us when hot.  A great blue heron chased it away, then performed its version of the I'm-so-hot look.  Later the night heron (or another) hunted in the spartina that was in the shade. 

I rescued beetles, a few tiny bees, and a couple of spiders.  A large black ant bit me which led to its demise.  I guess it was using me to get out of the water when my arm brushed it.  Blue dashers and a bar-winged skimmer perched around the pool.  A yellow-kneed wasp was thirsty.  I saw a pair of Carolina saddlebags flying mated, but they were gone before I thought of the camera.  A large blue-tailed skink also got away.

Clouds appeared in the afternoon.  Around 6pm they took over the sky and looked threatening, but we did not get rain.  What was strange was that the lowest clouds were rushing NNE, and the middle layer were rolling down from the Northwest, while the highest clouds - still in the sunlight - slowly moved West.

Down on Earth, wind from the South whipped the trees and grounded most flying creatures.  But not the hummingbirds.  I saw at least one male and two females with one chasing the other.   Finally the clouds passed, the sky turned silver, and the wind dropped to the evening onshore breeze. An egret passed overhead, flying home.



No comments:

Post a Comment