Sunday, May 31, 2020

Beautiful day

It was sunny and pleasant and fragrant - the white jasmine was blooming.  So was the pepper, the cilantro, the false indigo, the white lily, and the mountain mint looked like it was getting ready to bloom.  I put out bark butter balls and the blue jays weren't far behind.  One kept trying to land on the cup instead of the hanger with no success.  Another managed by climbing down. 

The slime mold was still white except where leaves and such had fallen on it.  I touched it and it was not slimy or sticky, but cool and a little damp and fairly firm.  There were two large patches and some small bits.  I found a snail on top of a patch that had been mostly hidden by vegetation.  Another glass snail was on a straw sticking up from the slime mold.  I wonder if they eat it? 

Long legged flies were flitting around the pepper leaves and I spotted one that was bright metallic red.  It was a little smaller than the ones I usually see, but I decided I don't care enough to catch the fly and investigate its personal parts for a specific ID.  They're all supposed to be predators on small garden pests.  

Ar lunch, two small skinks went tearing across the top step too fast for me to react.  A hummer made several visits so I guess she built a nest in the area.  Three squirrels, all with a noticeable dark streak above the nose, interacted in ways the made me suspect they were siblings not long out of the nest.  Two of them put their noses together as though kissing.  One stayed up the post or on the feeder roof while the other two foraged below. 

A female bluebird settled on the tub of bark butter so they must have eaten all the balls.  Unfortunately the window screen was in the way of the camera.  Then a couple of pine warblers showed up and one bumped the other off the feeder.  A Carolina wren sat still on the feeder for some time.  Then one of the warblers returned. 

As I are supper, I noticed a spider on the window.  The bullfrog was still calling.  The new camera did not want to take pictures of the moon.  Good thing I kept the old one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment