Sunday, May 17, 2020

Last nice day

The weather forecast was upended by the formation of a tropical storm off the Carolinas and we appear to be in for a week of rain.  Today was cooler and cloudier but quite pleasant till the wind picked up in the afternoon.  The humidity rose steadily as the temperature dropped.  If I embedded sound files as well as photos, today would have featured a woodpecker drumming and a bullfrog calling in addition to the usual bird songs.  The first daylily opened.  The parsley started blooming which should attract different insects. 

Skinks wandered around the patio looking for bugs or love.  A squirrel had the nerve to run past me with a pecan. A hummer visited but I didn't get a picture. Wasps were busy, especially paper wasps.  And I saw a queen yellow jacket hunting. 

A damselfly lurked on the rue. I believe it was a Rambur's forktail.  Speaking of lurking, today I saw a female cowbird.  I hope it wasn't looking for a bluebird nest to leave a little present.  I saw a male brown headed cowbird on the 13th.

I finally spotted the male red bellied woodpecker high up in the oak.  I think he was the one drumming.  Did his girlfriend leave?  Blue jays, bluebirds, and wrens did not get along with the camera.  I lined up great shots and the camera focused on the background.  A titmouse also came for bark butter balls. 


No comments:

Post a Comment