Sunday, May 3, 2020

Hot day!

The hot wind from the Southwest made waves on the creek and drove the thermometer up to 88°F.   It energized wasps and made them thirsty.  Honeybees joined them on the rue. 

I saw a cloudless sulphur and a red admiral butterfly.  The red admiral actually flew between my legs as I added water to the birdbath, but I'd left the camera off so it wouldn't get splashed.  Skinks were around, though not as many as I thought the heat would bring out. Squirrels sprawled in the shade. 

There were two pairs of house finches coming to the feeder and the two males got into a fight.  I'm not sure if the original or the interloper won, but he hustled over to the female to affirm his affection.  That pair left and the remaining male called another female to the feeder, so maybe it was all a misunderstanding. A downy woodpecker came for bark butter balls as did the bluebirds. 

The waxing gibbous moon was high and bright at twilight.  I could make out the mountains and crater ridges at the terminator. 


No comments:

Post a Comment