Saturday, May 9, 2020

World Migratory Bird Day

The weather was sunny but windy.  The temperature climbed from the 40s to the 60s. I did my part for Migratory Bird Day, I submitted two checklists.  In addition to birds, I saw a couple of small skinks, honeybees on the rue again, an earthworm, a snail, a couple of isopods, a small rusty brown butterfly, and a crane fly in the wild, not on a window screen.  Some. turtles were basking on the lake logs.  

Great egrets were around all day and I believe I saw a yellow crowned night heron fly upstream.  The bluebirds paid many visits to the bark butter balls. Carolina wrens joined then and I also saw a house wren poking into everything in search of food.  A frustrated chickadee was kept from the sunflower seeds by a house finch.  The male downy woodpecker checked in to see if the suet was back.  A blue jay tried to sneak past me to the bark butter balls. 

The wind calmed briefly before sunset.  Clouds were colored cream to rose to smoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment