Saturday, May 30, 2020

Slime

Bubbles rose in the creek shallows, whether methane or some critter I've no idea.  I caught the male bluebird in a tree.  He had been after something in the grass.  

Honeybees, bumblebees, wasps, and syrphid flies crowded around the rue. The parsley also had syrphid flies and leatherwing soldier beetles. A red bellied woodpecker made its querulous warble which alerted me to look for it up in the oak. 


I found a large white slime mold under the purple witch hazel in the front yard.  After reading up on this strange life form, I think it is a tapioca slime mold Brefeldia maxima. 

 A pine warble showed up for bark butter, the first I'd seen since winter.  A female hummer found the juice acceptable. 


The late afternoon rain brought out slugs.  I found one in the feeder eating the soggy remains of bark butter balls, another crawling over a parsley flower head, and another inside a day lily flower.  Others were just eating leaves.  Also on the parsley was a tiny orange caterpillar pretending to be a dead stem. 

The bullfrog was quite loud today, morning and evening. K thinks there's a frog under the pool cover, but I doubt it.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were decaying, drowned skinks, but how would a frog stay alive?  I suspect the bullfrog discovered how to use the pool as an amplifier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment