Saturday, May 2, 2020

Beautiful day

I think it was warmer than predicted.  A house wren paid an early visit.  Later I went to the Farmers' Market for strawberries and bought a bunch of veggies plus seedling tomatoes and peppers.

A cloudless sulphur flitted past us as we ate lunch.  A Carolina wren got into the bark butter balls.  A titmouse seemed wary of something.  The female bluebird gravitated to little feeder in the shade.  A downy put on a show trying to perch on the BBB feeder in the sun. 

I was in the front, potting the tomatoes and peppers and patient strawberry plants, where I had a good view of the bluebird nesting box.  The male rewarded me by landing on the roof of the nesting box.  A couple of skinks scampered away when they thought I wasn't looking. 
Yellow jackets were busy under the cedar so I suspect a nest.  It's a good location for them and us. 

Potting complete, I retired to the back yard which displeased the female bluebird.  She wouldn't come any closer than the maple.  A Carolina wren had business under the azalea at the far end of the pool.  High up in the oak a blue jay ignored me.  A male red bellied woodpecker looked like it was anting up there. 

A flock of gulls circled very high up - they were just dots.  The moon was high in the late afternoon


No comments:

Post a Comment