Friday, May 1, 2020

Many birds

Yesterday's rain left everything scrubbed clean, and still wet. The creek was so still I could see the reflected hardware on the boat across the water.  Bluebirds were disappointed in their soaked breakfast.  Egrets collected below the dam to fish.  The cat arrived and the songbirds left. 

By midday there was a breeze.  I spotted a pair of goldfinches in the saltbush.  The sky kept changing from dark overcast to sunshine and back.  During a sunny moment I saw a really large skink skirt the edge of the pool cover.  A cardinal hunted in the wild cherry, I think for caterpillars.  He didn't seem to have any better luck than I have.   An osprey soared in circles over the creek but mostly behind trees. 

A Carolina wren was lured to the bark butter balls I had refreshed.  A blue jay was the picture of greed. It or another had words with a squirrel.  Then it knocked the feeder and sent fragments of bark butter flying.  Both downy and red bellied woodpeckers took turns with the bark butter balls despite how awkward the feeder was for them.  I think a brown thrasher was planning the same but diverted when it saw the competition.

I went out front to empty the plant saucers of rainwater and caught the male bluebird sitting on the nesting box with (I think) a spider.  I hardly got back indoors when the rain started.  On the lake, cormorants and turtles waited it out.  An egret joined them when the sun returned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment