Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Cute skink

A Carolina wren joined us for breakfast.   It poked through the seed feeder since the barkbutter dishes were empty.  At lunch, a hummer attacked us, or more likely her reflection.  A molting pine warbler watched but left before I refilled the barkbutter balls.  Both brown headed and white breasted nuthatches visited. 

After my haircut, I spent a few moments watching the duskywing and fiery skippers on the lantana.   The dog rolled in the grass.  Ducks slept on the dock.  Turtles shared their log with another duck.  Blue jays were happy I finally refilled the barkbutter dishes. 

There were two live skinks and a corpse in the skimmer.  The live ones were hanging out on the handle but wouldn't let me catch them.  I finally got one out and released it on dry land.  When I found the dead skink in the bottom of the basket, I was afraid I'd scared it to death.  I disposed of it and headed for deeper water.  That's when I felt something on my back so I quickly submerged in case it was a greenhead fly.   But what should I see swimming away but another skink.  The rascal was hiding out on my swimsuit back.  Anyway, I caught it and it wrapped its tail around my finger to hang on till I got to the pool edge.  Then while I was picking up leaves in the deep end yet another skink appeared, floating with its nose barely out of water.  It turned lively when I let it go on the edge.  All that and no photos.  No frogs either.


No comments:

Post a Comment