Monday, August 8, 2022

Summer day

It was a gorgeous summer day - blue sky with fluffy clouds and a nice breeze to temper the temperature, which was in the low 90s.  The monarch caterpillar was much bigger.  I found one small swallowtail caterpillar on the rue.  With all the butterfly visits, I expected more.

I went fig picking before it got too hot.  A slaty skimmer kept watch from the bamboo stake by my window.  Some not-very-fresh mushrooms popped up on the West side of the house.  The sunflower on that side was smaller than the one by the pool, but had made a flower bud.  While I was watching tiny insects feast on a fig that had been split open by birds, a bald faced hornet joined the happy throng.  The other insects made themselves scarce.

Hummers continued to visit their feeders.  An egret fished at low tide.  Titmice carried off feeder food to eat elsewhere.  A skinklet zipped under a chair, then dithered about where to go next.  I found three frogs in the water.  They were moving slowly, already sickened by the chemicals, but they didn't stay evicted.  


No comments:

Post a Comment