Friday, August 19, 2022

Nuthatches

At breakfast, the creek had that Autumn reflective look.  The female red bellied woodpecker ate barkbutter balls for lack of suet.  A crow would have liked to share but couldn't manage the dish hanger.  Later I left some on the ground for crows. 

White breasted and brown headed nuthatches came for seeds.  There were at least two of the brown headed nuthatches, but they zipped around so much there could have been a dozen..  Best two out of three - the third species of nuthatch only shows up in the winter and only some years. 

After getting a barkbutter ball, a blue jay was pursued by another all over the yard.  My guess was that it was a parent who had quit feeding a fledgling.  A house finch father and son (I think) shared the seed feeder to the consternation of a nuthatch.  The younger finch had some sort of carbuncle on a left toe.  

A hummingbird preferred the little feeder so I figured it was time to swap out the bigger one.  A dragonfly perched on a leafless twig near the top of the wild cherry.  I think it was a blue dasher. A large, quite furry bumblebee worked around the mountain mint. 

I picked a few figs but neither birds nor wasps were feeding on the fruit so I suppose I shouldn't expect any more.   Green cones hung from the redwood.  Green pecans were nearly full size.  Something ate part of the sunflower's flower.  I looked back at yesterday's photo and sure enough, something had been nibbling.  

Nothing much in the pool today but a brown may beetle rafting on an oak leaf.  A green June beetle did not revive.  A mosquito, either salt marsh or Asian tiger, bit me on the arm.  I saw white stripes before I killed it but both have striped legs.  

A heron landed on a tree limb but vegetation blocked identification.  Mallards congregated on the dock and left lots of evidence.  


No comments:

Post a Comment