Thursday, August 11, 2022

Still hot

While last night was cooler, the temperature went right back up to 90° and it was humid under a mostly overcast sky.  The male hummingbird finally posed, but where was the sunlight that would have shown his ruby throat?

I evicted two frogs and a lot of tree litter from the pool.  When I got out, I watched a little skink that had already lost a tail bask in a moment of sunlight.  Bees checked out the sunflower.  A dragonfly watched from the perch outside my window.  But when I got the camera they all vanished.  Volunteer portulaca began blooming and the two asters put out a flower each.  The hibiscus had another blossom.  The parsley seeds were almost ready. 

At lunch, a female bluebird landed on the barkbutter feeder but a female red bellied woodpecker took over.  The bluebird watched indignantly from atop the post.  But when the woodpecker took off, a male pine warbler slipped in.  The male bluebird joined the female and everyone got fed.  But they all looked the worse for wear as they molted their Spring feathers.

Mysterious bubbles at the water's edge caught my eye.  A couple of small turtles rested on the log at the lake's edge.  I spotted a brown thrasher foraging in the saltbush.  A splash alerted me and I saw a kingfisher land on a piling, but without a fish.  I thought it was a male but some brown on the chest made me think it might be a young female.  Rain started around 3:30pm.  It lasted less than an hour, I think


No comments:

Post a Comment