Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Young critters

It was a mostly gray, humid day with nothing to report till afternoon.  Then I saw again the kingfisher I think is a young female just getting her brown belt.  The hummers drank their feeder dry.  A Carolina wren investigated the seed feeder.  I didn't get a decent picture of the brown headed nuthatch today.  The juvenile cardinal was back but hard to photograph between outdoor furniture.

Small skinks soaked up the warmth that penetrated the clouds.  Two or three frogs were once again hanging out in the skimmer.  I hunted down and expelled two of them.  But at twilight I saw one in the pool again. 

Aphids still infested the milkweed.  I got a brief glimpse of a monarch and a tiger swallowtail.  Only a few wasps tended to the mountain mint.  

Then I saw something really surprising - a dragonfly nymph in the pool.  It must have been there for some time as it was about an inch long.  I was a bit anxious at having it in the water with me but I think they're not really equipped to bite mammals.  (Unlike the mosquito that followed me around.)  

Like yesterday, the overcast broke up at sunset and a broad bar of cloud turned orange.  The reflection in the water was even more impressive than the sky.  That's is when I saw the frog. 




No comments:

Post a Comment