Friday, August 12, 2022

Damp

Under a gray sky, the thermometer didn't get out of the 70s and the air was damp.  The hibiscus again put out a single flower.  A squirrel ate green dogwood seeds while flaunting the family jewels.  That seemed odd to me because there were still plenty of cherries.  

A black and a tiger swallowtail laid eggs each on her preferred vegetation, rue and cherry respectively.  Hummers drank the feeder dry so they got a fresh batch.   I saw only females till evening but finally the male showed up when there was no longer light to brighten his throat. 

In the front, I only found two caterpillars.  The third may have left to pupate but I didn't see a chrysalis anywhere.   The milkweed looked worn out.  If I see any little caterpillars, I will transfer them to the butterfly milkweed.  The basil bloomed but I used some of its leaves in lunch, also the ripest pepper which was beginning to go bad.  Portulaca and porterweed were in bloom.  I need to find more plants that bloom in August. 

The clouds dissipated and late afternoon sunshine highlighted the roses down by the creek.  After it set wispy clouds turned peach as they drifted East.  I don't know about the pool as I wasn't feeling very well and didn't swim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment