Sunday, August 12, 2018

Fooled


After an overly heavy Sunday dinner I did not hurry to get into the water.  Besides, the sky was blue.  When I finally went out around 4pm, I saw the blanket of clouds rolling up from the South.  I was only able to do a basic cleaning before the leading edge arrived and raindrops started falling.  Remembering yesterday's deluge I was worried and decided to come in.  That, of course, meant that the rain did not last.  Nor did it return until 7pm.  But I'd already showered and washed the suit before I realized I'd been fooled.

I did rescue a cricket and two spiders, one a mama wolf bigger than yesterday's.  I didn't rescue a brown stinkbug that looked like the invasive kind.  I also found a drowned skink, alas.  Bees disputed access to the milkweed with a black swallowtail.  A blue dasher watched from the perching stick while a saddlebags patrolled above. A jumping psider was reflected on the riling and abasilica spider webmade a trap of the rue.  And a live skink flicked its blue tail around as though it was practicing to be a squirrel. 

The male goldfinch visited at breakfast and again when we got home and twice at supper.  He was too fast for me every time.  The hummers drank the feeder dry.  The juvenile cardinal was a messy seed sheller. An egret preened on the dock. A silver spotted skipper greeted me as I got out of the car. 


No comments:

Post a Comment