Saturday, August 25, 2018

Scary cloud

The big, dark cloud sat over central VB for hours, looking like it was about to spawn tornadoes and dump buckets of water, but nothing happened.  I got a few sprinkles on the windshield, no more.

Before I left, I did see some interesting chickadee behavior - the bird was very interested in the wrens' abandoned birdhouse. Titmice came to breakfast but they were too fast for me.  The male goldfinch didn't flee the camera today.  Neither did a blue jay.

I cleaned the pool in the late afternoon and saved one skink and disposed of another.  Also one spider, but no frogs, alive or dead.  A couple of little red insects behaved like scorpions -- they both curled their red abdomens up when rescued.  Fortunately I was cautious and did not touch them because they turned out to be rove beetles. Apparently they were used in ancient biochemical warfare.

A female widow skimmer was using the perch.  One hummer was at the feeder when another alighted.  I don't know what the first one said, but the interloper skedaddled.


No comments:

Post a Comment