Friday, August 17, 2018

Very hot

It was nice to be home all day, but the heat outdoors was fierce.  A big crane fly rested on the glass giving me a rather disturbing view of it from underneath.  The hummers were as greedy as ever.  I missed the blue jay gobbling bark butter balls. 

A skimmer was perched atop the canna when I went out to the pool.  And a blue dasher was on guard when I got out.  I evicted two frogs from the skimmer.  In the leaves floating at the deep end i found a large bumblebee covered in sodden yellow plush.  I wasn't sure it would recover but it flew off before I got a good photo.

I think the butterfly on the cherry was a red spotted purple.  The one in the rue was definitely a black swallowtail.  An amberwing perched in the lavender.  A fritillary enjoyed the milkweed undisturbed by hornets. 


Chickadees were in rare form.  One investigated the abandoned wren house.  Another argued with a hummer.  The goldfinch pair showed up at lunch but didn't stay.  The male returned in the late afternoon.  Skinks were around, but cautious.

The moon was fatter, almost first quarter, and accompanied by Jupiter as an evening star.


No comments:

Post a Comment