Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Rain

Clouds came and went in the morning but looked like rain more often than not.  Blue morning glories bloomed.  A snowy egret looked down at the dam spillway.  The raggedy hummer came back.   Blue jays fussed at each other over the rain-melted bark butter balls.

The rain held off till afternoon so I got some time in the pool.  I left the camera in the house though, just in case.  I pitched two dead frogs down the hill and evicted two live ones I found in the skimmer.  No doubt they'll be back.  I also rescued a couple of mama spiders.  Another spider, unencumbered with offspring, insisted on a spot on the ladder - it jumped back into the pool when I fished it out.  A monarch and a tiger swallowtail argued over the milkweed.  I saw a cicada killer hunting. 

The great crested flycatcher was back too.  They look as cuddly as a teddy bear.  A bar winged skimmer used the bamboo perch while a slaty skimmer perched on a dead dogwood twig.  A skink caught a bug right in the middle of the patio.  A couple more skinks ventured out later.  A duskywing skipper flitted around rather close to where I'd recently seen a skink. 

There were a couple of deluges with damp mist between.  A great egret rested on the dock.  I believe I saw a Mississippi kite!  It was raining under scary clouds when I went off to my meeting. Coming home after dark was drier but distant lightning flashed and I was glad to pull into the garage.


No comments:

Post a Comment